Navigation Log In Facebook Twitter Twitter

Membership FAQ's

Some frequently asked general questions by members and non-members alike:

(A Clinical FAQ section is available in the members' area)

Do I need to register for VAT if I practise acupuncture?

Ordinarily, medical professionals do not need to register for Value Added Tax (VAT), but those who practise acupuncture may need to do so if they are treating conditions that are not regarded as being within the accepted scope of your specialty's practice. Please also bear in mind that your insurance may not cover you if you are working outside the accepted scope of practice.

Do I need a licence to practise acupuncture?

If you practise in England or Wales, you need a licence from your local authority to do so, unless that local authority has granted an exemption. 

Can I put letters after my name?

HePAG members may use the letters MHePAG after their name.

Does HePAG recognise trigger point courses?

Trigger point needling for myofascial pain is taught as part of the HePAG Foundation Acupuncture Course and is deemed to be within the scope of practice of those successfully completing this course.

Do courses in dry needling allow membership of HePAG?

No. Dry needling is only a small part of the syllabus that makes up the HePAG Foundation Acupuncture Course. A dry needling course will not meet the requirements of statutory regulation of acupuncture in this country when it comes in to force.

Can I claim tax relief on my HePAG subscription?

In most cases, this subscription should be allowable against income tax; for details, please see the HMRC website.