AACP Foundation Course
4th April 2020 - 5th April 2020
18th April 2020 - 19th April 2020
16th May 2020 - 17th May 2020
Mr Kevin Young
Vita Health Group, Crystal Palace Sports Injuries Clinic, Jubilee Stand, Crystal Palace Park, London, SE19 2BB
29th March 2020 -- You will be unable to book after this date!
This course is divided equally between direct contact time and self-directed learning. It is designed to offer participants a level of knowledge, skill and understanding that will allow them to practice acupuncture in a safe and appropriate manner, in a clinical setting.
The course provides a Western medical approach to acupuncture - grounded in current research evidence rather than in traditional Chinese philosophical thinking. This course does not cover the traditional Chinese medical approach to acupuncture, except where Western scientific theory and evidence can be used to explain concepts of traditional Chinese medicine (e.g. fascial planes and meridians).
Participants will be encouraged to critically evaluate their own clinical practice and where appropriate, challenge the current evidence base. This course is designed to provide participants with a rationale for using acupuncture as an adjunctive treatment for the management of common musculoskeletal pain conditions. Topics covered include the laboratory and radiological research which is used to explain the mechanism of acupuncture analgesia; current evidence from acupuncture clinical trials research; and the non-specific "placebo" effects associated with acupuncture analgesia. In addition to needling classical acupuncture points, participants will be introduced to the concept of myofascial trigger points, and the use of acupuncture needling for pain associated with myofascial trigger points.
On completion of the course, delegates should:
- understand the cautions and contraindications associated with acupuncture;
- be able to demonstrate safe, hygienic and effective needling techniques;
- be able to locate and needle a limited range of acupuncture points;
- have an understanding of the neurophysiological theory underpinning the western interpretation of acupuncture;
- understand principles of point selection and treatment design;
- have a working knowledge of myofascial trigger points;
- be able to integrate the use of acupuncture with musculoskeletal osteopathic, chiropractic or sports therapy practice.
- Having obtained a BSc in Sports Therapy.
- Working towards a BSc in Sports Therapy, having successfully completed level 4
- Having obtained a Level 4 Certificate in Sports Therapy / Massage
- Current membership of the General Osteopathic Council (effectively having a BSc in Osteopathy)
- Working towards a BSc in Osteopathy, having successfully completed level 4
- Current membership of the General Chiropractic Council (effectively having a BSc in Chiropractic)
- Working towards a BSc in Chiropractic, having successfully completed level 4
- Current membership of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- A BSc in Occupational Therapy
- be able to practise acupuncture in a clinical setting between the course parts
- give the tutor informed consent to receive repetitive needling (with particular regard to being or trying to become pregnant).
- be able to treat three separate patients in a safe and legal environment for their case studies.
- attend all 6 days of the course
Training Hours: 300
Deposit: £150.00 (Remaining balance of £399.00 is due 21 days before the course start date)
Full Course Price: £549.00
- If your place is being funding by an employer, please read the important information about Employer Funding.
- During registration, you will be asked to input a CSP and HCPC reference. If you are part of a professional body, please write in this code or type in HePAG and then your initials and it will allow you to bypass this action.
- You will be asked to complete a Health Screening Questionnaire during the registration process, please write your specialism (Sports Therapist, OT etc.) in the text box at the bottom of the page.
- After the first weekend of your course, you will be set up as a HePAG member where you can take advantage of your HePAG benefits and discounts.